MELTEMI – Marine Litter Transnational Legislation Enhancement and Improvement
Marine litter is a complex and transboundary environmental problem, with increasing concern worldwide. Today is evident that effective policy and reduction measures should be urgently put in place, not only on local/national level, but also in regional/sub-regional; transnational cooperation being a real challenge. The overall objective of the MELTEMI project is along with the assessment of marine litter in beaches and sea, MELTEMI foresees an active engagement of the society and the key-players by informing, ‘educating’ training and networking them on a science and policy assessment framework of marine litter.
MELTEMI’s approach is based on the creation of transnational networks among GR, CY, BG and AL, where coastal marine litter will be assessed, with the aim to review world’s best practices and tools and adapt them to countries’ needs.
As main outputs MELTEMI will:
- Deliver a baseline assessment of marine litter on specific coastal zones
- Review the existing national legal and policy framework for the regulation of waste and the protection of the environment from marine litter
- Enhance and propose legal and policy frameworks based on existing policy and management tools and best practices at local, national and international level
- Engage society, increase public awareness and boost environmental education practices towards an ocean literate society on marine litter issues
- Assist decision makers to co-develop National & Transnational Action Plans Proposals for the reduction of marine litter at source