AKTI is a partner in the ‘MELTEMI’ project, Interreg V-B BALKAN-MEDITERRANEAN 2014-2020.
Marine litter is a complex and transboundary environmental problem, with increasing concern worldwide. Today is evident that effective policy and reduction measures should be urgently put in place, not only on local/national level, but also in regional/sub-regional; transnational cooperation being a real challenge. The overall objective of the MELTEMI project is along with the assessment of marine litter in beaches and sea, MELTEMI foresees an active engagement of the society and the key-players by informing, ‘educating’ training and networking them on a science and policy assessment framework of marine litter.
MELTEMI’s approach is based on the creation of transnational networks among GR, CY, BG and AL, where coastal marine litter will be assessed, with the aim to review world’s best practices and tools and adapt them to countries’ needs.
As main outputs MELTEMI will:
- Deliver a baseline assessment of marine litter on specific coastal zones
- Review the existing national legal and policy framework for the regulation of waste and the protection of the environment from marine litter
- Enhance and propose legal and policy frameworks based on existing policy and management tools and best practices at local, national and international level
- Engage society, increase public awareness and boost environmental education practices towards an ocean literate society on marine litter issues
- Assist decision makers to co-develop National & Transnational Action Plans Proposals for the reduction of marine litter at source
The project is co-funded by the European Union and National Funds of the participating countries.
MELTEMI@school Network Competition
Starting Date: 15th of January 2019
A. Creative Recycling
B. Creative Writing
Project is co-funded by the European Union and National Funds of the participating countries
MarLitCy is a 28 month long project, funded by EuropeAid Programme.
The EU funded project Coast Alert: Acting Regionally in a European Context.
Training Mediterranean Local Authorities And Civil Organizations On Integrated Coastal Zone Management And Reaction To The Impacts Of Climate Changes
Stimulate awareness among the youth of Cyprus on the importance of coastal environment, ‘Youth in Action’ Programme
Survey conducted on the perceptions on sustainable development and climate change in Cyprus
Promote effective partnership among CSOs in Cyprus and the Mediterranean, EU and other countries, on environmental issues, sustainable development and stakeholder participation processes.
A summer camp for the youth of Cyprus to learn, discuss and act upon a sustainable future for their island.
Creating the website for the most natural coasts in Cyprus